Labels

Sunday, May 10, 2015

GAIN- Drawings



     I am fascinated by Google Drawings. Maybe I am slow in finding out about this program but I can see this being a tool used in the classroom on a daily basis. I am a visual learner who is also guilty of doodling on my notes while listening to a lecture or presentation. What a great way to open the floor up so to speak to students who want to present their responses or ideas in a creative way. I am not too sure that I would use this program while teaching a lesson? It does appear to be a bit time consuming. The professional I work with has allowed me to teach a few of her C.A.R.E. lessons. We use the Inspire program in conjunction with her Promethean board, and it seems while your finished product appears more “homemade”, the process does appear to have more freedom than Google Drawings would allow.  

     I appreciate that Google tries to simplify this program. For example, when watching the tutorial video on the dimensions of health, I noticed that additional functions appear on the tool bar when their corresponding options are selected. For example, when she selected insert>line, options for line color and other editing tools appear that were not previously available. I have used Microsoft Publisher in the past and it can be daunting staring at a tool bar full of microscopic buttons. Sometimes it is hard to locate a tool you have used prior. I like the ease at which I was quick to become familiar with it's operation.

          Common Core desires students have the ability to make inferences from the text and to be able to summarize what a body of text is telling it's audience. My initial impression of the program was, what a great way to mind map in preparation for writing assignments. Students could use Google Drawings in their prewriting steps, at the same time be exposed to another useful technology tool! After playing around with the capabilities, I see the program as a possible alternative to traditional homework assignments. Homework which may allow more freedom in expression of ideas and could open up the conversation to include visual communication as well.

1 comment: